DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have occasional stools. Paranoid, though, have associated

Customer Question

I have occasional green stools. Paranoid, though, have associated them in the past to an over endulgance of store bought chocolate iced cakes. But for some reason can't seem to wrap my head around that same solutions. And Yes, I have eaten , am ashamed to admit, 2 boxes of those little devils this week. Can I hopefully assume my trouble will resolve itself , like it has in the past? Can junk food really do that ??
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Yes it can.

Anything that increases stool motility can cause green stool.

Bile is green and does not have time to turn dark in such cases.

That said, at age 66 you should have had two screening colonoscopies.

If those have not been done, that needs to be arranged.

If there is any diarrhea, stool testing.

Most green stool is from food and digestive issues.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK..well..that is not the reassurance I was looking for. As a sufferer of IBS and anxiety..you just shot my anxiety level through the roof. Thanks for nothing ! I will look elsewhere for help and less test pushing
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

The colonoscopy is the gold standard, and this puts you in the clear.

The standard medical recommendation is that ANY change in bowel habits past age 50 is a specific indication for screening colonoscopy if not done.

Polyps caught early can prevent bigger problems.

As I said above, most green stool is food, digestion related.

You asked a medical question, and in fact those are the correct answers.

If you have a question about anxiety related to this, that is a different issue, which I can also answer, just let me know exactly what it is.

In addition, see my add services offer for the bowel stabilizing diet in great detail.

Please click a positive rating. Let me know what questions have not been answered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel you anything you say would be helpful to me...Anxiety issues and diet are always an issue for me..Your jumping to a test I don't want or think I need given the commonness of green stools makes you way to pushy in my book. I have had lots of success in the past with other drs. there. I will remit your fee but will not give you a good rating or am happy about paying you at all !
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I have nothing to do with the fees.

We are only paid by just answer per positive rating.

We do not do testing, exam or diagnosis.

I am simply giving you correct medical information.

There is a higher risk to not having a colonoscopy.

One can check the stool for blood, or do a flex sig, which is not as good.

HOwever, in the case where stool habits have changed, colonoscopy assures the best preventative outcomes.

As to this test, that is totally up to you.

You asked about green stool.

ANYTHING that increases stool motility, as I said, even IBS can cause it.

However, in terms of medical accuracy, in someone over 50, one can not diagnose IBS fully without the screening tests, as IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion.

These are simply the medical standards. My goal is to give you accurate answers.

Is green stool likely to be something like cancer? No.

Does that mean you should NOT have the screening? No.

Please click a positive rating so I am paid by just answer, OR, if you still have questions let me know.

Also see my additional services offer and I can go into prevention [naturally] extensively.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Good luck.