Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a cough on and off since December. Wheezes

Customer Question

Customer: I have had a cough on and off since December. Wheezes crackles heard on stethoscope -enough reduced air entry to warrant emergency nebuliser. Still have a sort of bronchial cough and severe left arm pain. Bleeding on blowing nose and when cough at times. 2 courses of doxycycline and steroids. Help,please
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No-above is it I think Oh-have inhalers of 100 x2x2times a day
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Did your doctor check a chest x-ray?

Were the steroids inhaled steroids or oral steroids?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

Statistically, this is most likely a bronchitis, and possibly an asthmatic bronchitis. However, if a chest x-ray has not been done, it would be appropriate to do so to exclude any underlying pneumonia.

If it is an asthmatic bronchitis, there are a couple of options for treatment. It would be reasonable to try a different antibiotic than the doxycycline, and the most commonly used antibiotic would be azithromycin. If the steroids were inhaled steroids, it would be appropriate to use systemic steroids, possibly with an injection followed by oral steroids. If oral steroids have already been tried, then there are some other inhalers that can be added, such as tiotropium. It also would be reasonable to use a long acting beta agonist, such as salmeterol.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking future questions.

This is a link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/