Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

, 47years)- years I had tinitus (ringing in my ears).

Customer Question

Customer: Hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is Anja (47years)- For 17 years I had tinitus (ringing in my ears). It started with tinitus stomach hard and full of air and an issue with my nails (pincet nail) I was in very good shape. My life changed from day to another. No one can figger out what is wrong.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Are you still having the problem with the stomach and the nails or was that only at the beginning?

What evaluation has been done to this point for the tinnitus?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stomach still a problem. Some years ago had problems with hemoroids that I had elastics put on a few times. not problems with that anymore. nails also still the same. both hands and feet. and they have very thin black line horizontal in them. I was tested for fungus in them. My ears where just tested for the hearing. dok said nothing can be done about it. I forgot that I got water retention as well. heart tested as well. and when it started i also had high testosterone. but not anymore. had synachten test a few times. but it was fine. I fell very tired. My thyroid has been tested as well several times. nothing
I had an operation some months ago where they removed a parathyroid. but it was only 5-7 years old. and operation did not remove the above symptoms that are also older. And I dont think it is related. I have a hard time falling a sleep. hours. I sleep well when I fall a sleep. it does not help not sleeping in daytime. I tryid that a hole week. I am more alert in the evening. my head clears.

When the doctor said that nothing could be done about it, was that because there was hearing loss for which there is nothing that can be done?

Or was the hearing test completely normal?

Was this doctor an ENT specialist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was normal and she said to come back if it gets worse or I get pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she was ENT specialist

Very good.

By a large margin, the most common reason for tinnitus is from hearing loss, although there are many different possible causes of hearing loss. There also are some other ENT conditions that can cause tinnitus, but the evaluation by the ENT specialist would have looked for these other conditions.

Tinnitus also can be related to several neurologic conditions, so a neurologic examination would be apropriate, possibly including an imaging test of the brain, such as an MRI. It is also possible to get tinnitus from conditions that creat noise in the neck near the ears, such as arteriosclerosis affecting the carotid artery.Tinnitus also can be due to arthritis affecting the joint where the jaw connects to the skull, called the temperomandublar joint or TMJ.

Since the tinnitus is associated with stomach and nail systemic, then there also should be some evaluation for systemic conditions. It sounds like you have had an excellent endocrine evaluation. The other issue to consider would be whether there is an autoimmune or systemic inflammatory condition. If not already done, it would be appropriate to first perform some screening tests, such as ANA, RF, and sed rate.

So, it would be appropriate to discuss these possibilities with your primary care doctor, who can perform or arrange the evaluation for these conditions.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.