Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Is there a medication that can deter drinkers without

Customer Question

Is there a medication that can deter drinkers without getting them into rehab--which she won't do??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.
Yes, there are many medications that can be used to deter drinkers and along with AA meetings and other psychological support groups these can be used as prescribed by your physician.

Natrexone, topiramate, acamprosate etc are some of them. But they do not work alone and support therapy is advised with them. I would suggest that you seek help on this from her doctor.

Hope this helps.

I only get paid for my work here if you leave a rating using the star system on the top of the screen. The conversation can continue even after you have left a rating to address any additional concerns or queries related to the original post.

Best.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating.

Best.