Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Haven't been having normal bowel movements, it used to

Customer Question

Haven't been having normal bowel movements, it used to be fine and pretty regular, but then all of a sudden it started feeling like1. Something needs to come out
2. Feels like it's not completely all coming out when I do have to go.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer,

Since when is this happening? Do you have any other symptoms such as abdominal pain or change in bowel habits? Any recent stress or worry? What is you diet like? Do you exercise?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's been about 3 weeks now, no abdominal pain, I don't really exercise, I don't have any stress or worry..As far as changes in bowel movements, what is that exactly..I used to go after certain meals or after drinking coffee or eating breakfast in the morning.

Dear customer,

I mean whether the frequency of bowel movements has changed and also the consistency? Do you have any feeling of urgency? Did you consult your doctor regarding this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not that I know of....I had a Dr Appt last week for a health exam for work, I mentioned it to the Dr and all she said was that I probably assent getting enough fiber, however I don't believe that.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically you have some of the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Also you do not have any alarm symptoms such as night time symptoms, or weight loss, or rectal bleeding. Therefore you do not require extensive testing to look for an alternate diagnosis. However if you have a family history of inflammatory bowel disease, or celiac disease, or colon cancer then further testing may be required. With these symptoms you may have some investigations done such as complete blood count, thyroid function tests, and stool examination. Also blood testing for celiac disease in patients with symptoms of diarrhea-predominant or mixed irritable bowel syndrome is recommended. You probably had a few investigations done already for the health exam. Hopefully they were normal. Therefore with these symptoms as I said a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome is most likely. This is a common condition there is improvement of the symptoms with defecation and also a feeling of incomplete defecation. However according to some authorities these symptoms must occur at least for a period of 3 months for a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome.

The most important information you need to know about this condition is that this has a good prognosis, and though this may be chronic and lifelong this will not cause any adverse complications for you in the future.

Increasing your fiber intake by taking more of fruits and vegetables will be beneficial. Also another beneficial recommendation is to start an exercise program after getting an OK for exercise from your doctor. Some patients will benefit from decreasing their caffeine intake.

Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what type of Dr should I go see for a diagnosis of IBS or could this be some sort of constipation.

Dear customer,

You may see a family physician or an internal medicine M.D, since a specialist such as gastroenterologist is not necessarily required to make a diagnosis. However your family physician may refer you to a gastroenterologist if required.

Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I used to have sound and regular bowel movements, all this started over 3 weeks ago, so it's been a month now...
Also when I'm at working, I think it semi goes away. Could this be IBS as you said or some form of constipation.

Dear customer,

There are various causes for constipation and IBS-Constipation type is one of its cause. There are other causes such as due to low thyroid hormone and that is the reason I advised you to have your thyroid hormones tested.

Take care.