Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What does it mean to have BP @107/49

Customer Question

what does it mean to have BP @107/49
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

A blood pressure of 107/49 is not, by itself, an issue. Many people maintain a blood pressure at this level. In fact, a blood pressure as low as 90 can be tolerated well in many people.

The issue of a blood pressure of 107/49 is when this is a significant change from the usual baseline blood pressure, and I assume that this is a change from your usual blood pressure for you to be asing about the blood pressure. If this is a significant decrease from the usual blood pressure, there are several conditions that can cause this, but the first concern would be whether it is related to an infection or a sign that the person is dehydrated, and these are not mutually exclusive, as a person may get dehydrated from an infection. Cold sweats can be present with infection or dehydration, so does not help to differentiate the cause.

If there are no other specific symptoms, the most common infection would be a viral infection. If there are other symptoms present, then the other symptoms may indicate a different infection.

It is worth noting that an increased blood sugar can also contribute to fluid loss from the body, and the amount of fluid loss is greater at higher levels of blood sugar.

At this point, it would be reasonable to drink extra fluids to see if the blood pressure improves, and it would be better to drink fluids that are better at hydrating the body, such as fruit juices or sports drinks.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.