Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I've have been to our clinic 3 times since Dec.15 deep

Customer Question

I've have been to our clinic 3 times since Dec.15 for a deep cough. First Dr.. allergys gave me Mucinex, second one BROM/PSE/DM cough syrup and steroids 20 mgs. a day for 5 days. The third nexum 40 mgs., I don't have ins. the pills were to expensive $270. for 30. The cough is better but I have a terrible acidic tase in my mouth, nothing has any taste. They did no xrays or blood tests, do you have any idea as to what I can do to get rid of the horrible taste in my mouth?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

steroids like prednisone 20mg often will upset the stomach and cause the stomach to produce more stomach acid which can cause acid reflux stomach acid to come up the esophagus and cause acidic taste in your mouth.

nexium is a prescription stomach acid blocker.

you can use over the counter stomach acid blockers

prilosec is omeprazole, a proton pump stomach acid blocker just like nexium, but in 20mg dose over the counter.

you can use prilosec and zantac and maalox and mylanta over the counter to block stomach acid and decrease acid reflux

you should also avoid alcohol, spicy foods, tomato sauces, oily or fried foods, large meals which can cause acid reflux.

you do need to eventually apply for health insurance so you can pay for treatment.

at your age of 71, you should be elegible for medicare insurance which covers 80% of doctor's visits.

make sure you take the steroids with food in your stomach, never on an empty stomach and taper them down when you stop them

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

do you have any other questions?