Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I need to get an MRI and two MRAs. Because I suffer from

Customer Question

I need to get an MRI and two MRAs. Because I suffer from severe claustrophobia and PTSD, I need to be put under general anesthesia. I am pretty certain that they will use propofol at the hospital in the radiology dept., I was put under this way in the past for my colonoscopy/endoscopy. I have sleep apnea and my pcp insists that I get a test so I can apprise the anesthesiologist before the procedure (I haven't been tested for several years and have since lost 45 lbs). Since there are usually split tests for sleep apnea, my question is, which would the anesthesiologist need to see? (A) If I still have it and to what degree (B) The treatment for the sleep apnea. My pulmonologist says that the latter is the important one because I already know that I have sleep apnea. We need to re-titrate my bipap machine and bring it in because the problems may occur when I am awakened, and not during the sedation. I would get both tests but my insurance may not cover both. If the latter is the only meaningful one, perhaps just get that one?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I would trust your pulmonologist and your primary care doctor

you don't need to bring your sleep apnea machine to the MRI scan.

at the hospital they have pure oxygen and masks and if you need to be in intubated to help you breath, they can do that at the hospital.

hopefully you can just have some conscious sedation with your MRI scan and sleep through the procedure.

if you were put under for your colonoscopy and endoscopy procedure and you didn't have problems with your sleep apnea, I would not stress about that for your MRI scan.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com