Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had bloodwork done yestrday 1/7/16 they done a cbc I know

Customer Question

I had bloodwork done yestrday 1/7/16 they done a cbc I know they were checking my mcv and mch my mcvery was 75 going by there scale should have been 79 so it's low and my mch was 25 can't rember what there scale says it should be. But it's low my hemoglobin is normal and hemocrat is to this is the 2 time it's been low they don't bloodwork back in August my hemoglobin then was 13.1 the mcv and mch was the same numbers as they are this time what could be causing this my doctor seems to think it's nothing major but I don't understand what's causing this cause I've done some reading and it says that. It could be a sign of blood loss from somewhere and I'm so worried scared cause I don't know what's going on
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Low MCV is seen with iron deficiency due to the small red cell size.

Hence iron studies and ferritin level also should be checked.

Iron deficiency can nutritional problem or problem with absorption.

Blood loss will cause frank anemia due to the continuous bleeding.

Heavy menstruation in women another common cause.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok what do I need to do there ask the doctor to do that or what could this be something serious
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What about the blood loss what do I do about that I'm so confused here as to what to do cause as I metioned my doctor seems to think it's nothing serious
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What about low mch
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Please get blood tests for iron studies and ferritin --they will be low with iron deficiency.

If you have heavy periods please see a gynecologist about starting oral contraceptives to reduce blood flow.

If there is no visible blood in stool or dark black stool do not worry.

Your doctor can order fecal occult blood test to check for blood in stool as well.

Low MCH means low hemoglobin per red cell common with iron deficiency.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Additional offer is good for so many important questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so in other words the low mch is low because the mcv is low no i don't see visible blood in my stool and I don't think I've noticed dark black stool I do not have heavy periods either ok I will contact my doctor and see if he will do iron studies and the ferritin is that a level in my bloodwork the ferritin
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh also the rdw was high by a point on august is that concerning I almost forgot about that
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

RDW high low MCV together suggest iron deficiency --common in women

not concerning.

Also get stool occult blood test done by your doctor.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I just sent message to them asking them if they could do iron studies and ferritin and a occupant blood test for stool watting to hear back from them the iron studies and ferritin are levels in bloodwork right
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Occulant
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Occult blood in stool ( FOBT) test simple inexpensive test.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so let me get this straight so get the occulant blood test on stool and the ferritin and iron studies on bloodwork right the occulant stool test is the cards you smear stool on right
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Correct

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok my doctor just sent me a message back and said he already confirmed it was low and that. He wanted me to take the iron pills he prescribed ao he dosent want to do the iron studies and ferritin in bloodwork
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But that I could stop by and get the occulant blood stool things to do that
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good --do not worry.

Please rate the chat also :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey I had the iron studies ferritin done occulant stool test done the stool test was normal the iron studies were low the fertin level was low the mch low mcv low what could be causing this
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was iron+total_binding capacity tic serum iron binding cap tibc result 372 ref range 250-450 then it's got something under it of 341 ref range 150 375 then something about uibc >17 then something about 111-343 then something about 31 the result then normal is 35 -155 says below low normal then iron saturated is 8 normal is 15-55 result low then something about iron serum I can't tell what it is mcv is 75 normal is 79-97 hemocrat is 36.3 hemoglobin is 12.0 mch is 24.5 normal 26.6 to 33.0 they both say below low normal what's that mean the cmp serum or plasma all where normal. So does this mean I could be losing blood or what's going on I know iron deficiency but what could be causing it
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 months ago.

This means mild iron deficiency anemia.

You probably taking iron already that is why TIBC became normal but your iron sat is low.

I do not see your ferritin level.

You can get endoscopies to rule out any GI bleeding --unlikely.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I hAve a apointment with the gastroenterology doctor on March 11 my fertin level was 10 also what could cause what feels like a heartbeat in the back of head no i just started iron pills 150 mg prescribed by doctor on Monday blood work was done on Jan 7
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 months ago.

That can be anxiety related commonly.

Not a brain problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Well what. Could this be I noticed today that on the right side of my head like around the crown of my head like around the circle part of my head is sooo sore in spot I haven't hit my head on anything or anything like that it's just really sore even if you don't touch it in that one spot
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 months ago.

Please rate the conversation first for any further replies.

Thank you very much for your support to keep the site alive :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can the iron pills cause my stool to be black it's feerex 150 milogram I just had a stool test done not that long ago to check for occulant blood and it was negative