Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Can you help me understand through what organs water passes

Customer Question

Hi - can you help me understand through what organs water passes after I drink it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Water of course passes from your mouth to the esophagus and then on to the small intestine and then to the large intestine.. it is mostly absorbed by your GI tract and then merges into your blood stream >> the blood stream flows of course to every organ and tissue of the body ....

Perhaps you are thinking also of the kidneys which serve to filter the blood and eliminate urine and this is the main elimination route of the water that we take in...

Water mixes into our blood stream and is a part of us in every cell however...

I hope that this helps...

If you have further questions or need other clarification then let me know ...

I will be happy to get back with you!

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction the please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been having discomfort for months just below my right ribs. It feels like pressure or cramping. I notice it when I eat and drink, but mostly when I drink. It waxes and wanes, but it invariably gets worse within seconds of drinking water or liquid. I mostly drink water. My whole right side is constantly dealing with what I would describe as inflammation. I have had an ultrasound which showed only 3mm polyp in my gallbladder, and 1cm cyst in each kidney. MRI didn't show anything of concern. I am getting frustrated and now wondering what my next move should be. I am trying to not only identify what it could be, but also what organs would not be involved. Any thoughts?

Hello again,

Yes my first thought is that you may have gastritis or an ulcer perhaps...

The stomach lining if raw and irritated sucha swith an ulcer would feel better with a salty fluid such as chicken noodle soup rather than plain water..

Water is so DILUTE that if you had inflammation of the lining of the stoamch then this irritated lining would become more swelled.. so an ulcer may better tolerate fluids with some salts dissolved in them >> Gatorade may help..

An acidic fluid such as orange juice may make you feel worse if it is an ulcer of gastritis

You may feel relief of pain with Mylanta or TUMS but these would not last long...

I would recommend that you go to a BLAND type diet for now as a precaution..

AVOID alcoholic drinks/coffee/ hot spicy or acidic foods/ tomato based products, citrus fruits, onions, peppers and avoid ANTI-INFLAMMATORY meds such as ALEVE, ADVIL, ASPIRIN but Tylenol should be OK...

I think follow up in a case such as your is important.. I would think it best to follow up with a gastroenterologist...

They may scope you with an EGD procedure to look at the stomach and duodenum ( =first segment of the small intestine which also commonly gets ulcers..)

They would test you for H. Pylori which is a stomach bacteria that is often a cause of ulcers...

Acid reducing medication may be prescribed for you.. there are also some good over the counter options that you may benefit to take daily for several weeks if this is an ulcer such as Nexium/ Prilosec/ Prevcacid ....

I hope that this is helpful for you!

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

I will be happy to get back with you!

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I had a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy and both came back normal. So not dealing with any of those issues.

OK if you have had those tests then I suggest that you follow up with your gastroenterologist...

You might have liver functions tested if not already...

The gallbladder polyp could have potential to cause right upper quadrant pain but I would not expect it to be so sensitive as to cause pain with merely drinking water..

Problems of the small intestine may be in need of considerationadn perhaps further testing..

This area might be evaluated with an upper GI barium and small bowel follow through or a capsule endoscopy...

I would check blood test of lipase and amylase to check for inflammation of pancreas

I would check ALT and AST mainly to check for inflammation of liver...

Blood test to check for general inflammation...

Inflammatory disease of the small bowel could be your culprit such as Celiac diseae of Crohn's disease...

As I said it is best to follow up carefully with your GI specialist since you are still having so much trouble...

I hope that this is helpful for you...

Let me know if I may be of further help..

Updates on your future tests and how you are doing would be welcome..

Please remember to leave positive feedback on this thread...

Thank you >> Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay last question. Do you know of a gastro centre that is highly specialized? For example, where difficult cases are sent for identification?

You should be fine to see a GASTROENTEROLOGIST .. you may go to www.healthgrades.com

then enter your zip code and the type specialist that you seek and you can get a list of the GI specialists near you..

Beyond that if you have a large medical center near you that has a medical school and residency programs then these have the most to offer in specialty care

Examples >> Duke/ Vanderbuilt/ UCLA..