Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been dealing with a lot of different doctors as a

Customer Question

Customer: I have been dealing with a lot of different doctors as a result of several different medical problems.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I dont know how to access my file to see if I am listed as a high risk or whatever. I feel like my pharmacy gives me so much trouble
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is easy to request access to you medical record from the doctor's office. The issue that may be more difficult would be whether you can access the pharmacy database. Most states now have a database that maintains information on the controlled substances that are filled for each patient, and the information across all pharmacies are consolidated into one database. Since the law and regulation for each database is different for each state, the ability and process will vary according to each state. I would be glad to do some research for the process for your state, but it would be necessary to know your state. I realize that you would have entered personal information when you registered for the site, but that information is kept private and the experts cannot access it.

In which state do you live?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
TEXAS.

Very good. Let me do some research and I will post again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, when I request my medical records what if my doctor leaves out a portion. I just feel like the pain is being ignored. I don't know why when I have plenty of diagnostic testing to prove reasoning behind pain.

If you request access to the record or a copy of the record, withholding a portion of the medical record would be a violation of law and the policies and procedures under which doctors are licensed, so the doctor would run the risk of losing their license. Consequently, it is exceedingly rare for a doctor to withhold a portion of the medical record.

However, since the doctor can review the state pharmacy database on a computer screen, that information would only be in the doctor's medical record if the information is referenced in the office note, so may not be in the medical record. That is why acquiring the information in the pharmacy database may be necessary.

I will post again shortly after completing reseach on the Texas database.

I can find no provision in the Texas law and regulation about the Texas Prescription Program that allows patients to access the information in the program about them.

So, there are a couple options. You can request access to the doctor's medical record, which may include a reference to information that was acquired from the Texas Prescription Program.

The only other option would be to contact the Texas Prescription Program directly to ask how you can review the information in the system. They can be reached at(###) ###-####