DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

I have recently been diagnosed with arteriosclerosis (3

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed with arteriosclerosis (3 blocked arteries). The doctor is recommending a triple bi-pass. I was wondering why he hasn't suggested Angioplasty or at least the use of plaque dissolving drugs such as Alpa-linolenic-acid prior to open heart surgery?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I am Dr. Hoellering, doctor of internal medicine, and pleased to help you. Recommendations very much depend on the kind of stenosis. You can't dissolve arteriosclerotic plaques with any drug; Alpha linolenic acid only helps to slow down the progress of arteriosclerosis. Angioplasty is only possible when only a small part of an artery is afflicted. If there are several blockages or a long one, angioplasty will not be sufficient. Technically it is possible to put one stent behind another, but the outcome is not encouraging.

I would ask your doctor to show you the pictures of your angiography. You will understand better then. But I have good news for you as well: Angioplasty can reduce symptoms, but it hasn't proved yet to actually prolong lifes. Bypasses can help you to live much longer, because they ensure a good blood flow for many years. Therefore I would follow your doctors advice.

I wish you good luck and a soon recovery!

I hope my answer was helpful for you. If anything is still not clear, please feel free to ask. If not, please don't forget to rate positively (hpefully clicking five stars) for my help! Otherwise I won't get any credit from your already payed money for it. Thank you very much and good luck!