Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My Bun/Creatinine Ratio is 21, my GFR (i am caucasian) is

Customer Question

Customer: My Bun/Creatinine Ratio is 21, my GFR (i am caucasian) is 110, and my creatinine is 0.72, and my BUN is 15. I have had microscopic blood in my urine for five years and two pregnancies during that time with no high blood pressure and everything normal with normal natural births. I have seen a nephrologist who says I am fine but I am wondering if I should seek a second opinion and what the elevated ratio could mean. about two weeks prior to the test (which is what prompted the test) I had a sudden bout of vomiting in the morning and a general ill feeling. After that I had bloody urine for about four days. This is what prompted me to go to a doctor and run some tests. But, I am still concerned and seeking out more answers.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure. WHat additional details?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I understand your concerns. Common cause of elevated BUN creatinine ratio is dehydration.

Fasting can cause this commonly.

However you do have persistent microscopic blood in the urine.

That suggests the possibility of glomerulonephritis or inflammation of the filtration apparatus in the kidneys--can be from autoimmune condition.

Sometimes the blood can come from other parts of the urinary system like collective tubules, ureters, bladder or even urethra.

Hence a Ct scan of the kidneys, bladder with urology protocol should be considered for better evaluation.

Most likely this is normal but a scan like above should be considered.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr David

I am another expert here.

I'm glad you have seen a nephrologist already.

BUN/creatinine ratios area really only meaningful if you have a known kidney disorder already.

it doesn't sound like you have anything wrong with your kidneys

microscopic blood in the urine can be from small microscopic kidney stones in your system or mild inflammation in your kidneys.

sometimes even after menopause, vaginal atrophy can cause thinning of the urethra lining and vaginal lining which can make bleeding easier into the blood.

after childbirth the urethra lining can become thinner as well can cause some small trace blood to be in the urine.

if your nephrologist is not worried about your kidneys, I would not stress.

vomiting and increased chest and abdominal pressure from vomiting itself can put more pressure on the urethra and bladder linings and cause bleeding.

what is better than a scan is a cystoscopy procedure by a urologist to look up into the urethra and bladder.

a cystoscopy can see small blood vessel abnormalities on the wall of the bladder which often can cause small microscopic blood

these can be burned with electrocautery to stop the bleeding

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com