Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have a urine test that came back with 30 mg/dL of UA

Customer Question

Customer: Hi - this is Kemi....I have a urine test that came back with 30 mg/dL of UA protein POCT. I just also recently started having high blood pressure as well - started at 172/121 and now is down to 148/92 but still high
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I started having chest pains and burning in chest - so they ran blood and urine tests - most came back negative with the exception being the protein. Also saw a gastro doctor and my endoscopy came back clean as well - so the mystery continues re: burning and uncomfortableness in chest. I am now going to a cardio doctor. The only change in my habits has been that I started doing HOT YOGA...everything else has remained the same pretty much - diet, medications, etc.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for this question

The high blood pressure likely resulted in the protein in the urine.

The super high blood pressure puts a lot of pressure on the kidney.

The key is to figure out why your blood pressure is high.

If it is spontaneously this high with no history of trouble then it needs further investigation.

Renal artery stenosis (blocked renal arteries), problems with the adrenal glands, sleep apnea, etc can cause this

You need work a good workup by an internist for secondary hypertension

Your protein in the urine should be repeated as the blood pressure comes under control

It should go away.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)

If you have more questions, just reply