Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Mom is 80 yr at 6:00 she got lite headed and nausea, made

Customer Question

mom is 80 yr at 6:00 she got lite headed and nausea , made her set down n put her legs up took he b/p it 105/51, normal for her is 120/79 , thinking it's because of not eatin since 12:30 , fixed her scarmbled egg n toast n sprite feels better but b/p is still lower than normal should we be concerned
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Whether you should be concerned would be dependent upon the severity of symptoms and whether it can respond to some home interventions.

It is good that you gave her something to eat, but it is also important that she drink some extra fluid to help ease the lightheadedness. It would be good if she were to drink about 3-4 cups of fluids.

If she continues to be significantly lightheaded after the fluids, particularly if it is so bad that she is unsteady on her feet, then that would be concerning and it would be better for her to be seen urgently, regardless of her blood pressure. However, if the extra fluids eases the lightheadedness, then it is less concerning in terms of needing to be seen urgently. However, she may still need to be seen depending upon whether the other symptoms persist.

Nausea that is bothersome for a day or two is most often due to a viral infection, and if it eases spontaneously, then no further evaluation would be needed. However, there are many other conditions that can cause nausea, so if the nausea persists, even if the lightheadedness eases, it would still be better for her to be seen, but it does not need to be done urgently.

So, first see if she can drink fluids and see if the lightheadedness improves, and then whether she needs to be seen would depend upon whether significant symptoms persist.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking future questions.

This is a link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.