Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

AT AGE 64 ROM ASPIRATIONAL PNEUMONIA, WHICH AN MRI AND XRAY

Customer Question

I AM DYING AT AGE 64 ROM ASPIRATIONAL PNEUMONIA, WHICH AN MRI AND A FOLLOWUP XRAY SHOWED IN MY LUNG. I HAD TERMINAL CANCER IN 1994 AND WAS TREATED WITH 7500 RADS OF RADIATION FOR 35 DAYS. HALF WAY THROUGH THE PROCEDURE I WAS ON A STOMACH TUBE BECAUSE I COULD NO LONGER EAT OR DRINK. WITHIN 5 MONTHS I HAD A VERY PAINFUL FUNGAL INFECTION THAT STANFORD COULD NOT SUCCESSFULLY TREAT FOR THREE MONTHS, UNTIL MY BROTHER-IN-LAW A DOCTOR PRESCRIBED ANT-FUNGAL TROCHES FOR ME. FINALLY, AFTER 6 MONTHS I WAS ABLE TO DRINK WATER AGAIN. I STAYED ON MY STOMACH TUBE FOR ALMOST AN ENTIRE YEAR. I WAS ALSO TREATED WITH CISPLATIN AND F5U OR 35 DAYS.MY DIAGNOSIS WAS SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA T4, WITH A 5M TUMOUR AT THE BACK OF MY MOUTH, THROUGHOUT MY JAW AND IN MY LYMPH NODES. MY PROGNOSIS, BY THE HEADS OF STANFORD'S ONCOLOGY, RADIATION, AND ENT WAS "TO GET MY AFFAIRS IN ORDER; I HAD LESS THAN 6 MONTHS".SINCE 9/11/2001, MY FIRST DAY OF DISABILITY (I WAS AN EXECUTIVE IN SILICON VALLEY) THE AFTERMATH OF FREE RADICALS AND OSTEORADIONECROSIS HAS WRECKED HAVOC ON MY HEALTH. I WON'T GO INTO ALL THE GORY DETAILS.IN 1983 I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH INTERSTIAL CYSTITIS, A VERY PAINFUL DISEASE, WITH THE HIGHEST RATE OF INCIDENCE OF ANY DISEASE BECAUSE OF INCREDIBLE PAIN. IT IS CAUSED BY AN STD, WHICH MY PHILANDERING HUSBAND GAVE ME: EBSTEIN BAAR REACTIVE. WHEN MY CANCER WAS BIOPSIED, THEY FOUND THE SAME STD. THIS IS JUST AS AN FYI.THIS YEAR, MY BILLS AT STANFORD WERE $265,000, WHICH GOD BLESS THEIR INSURANCE, I PAID BARELY A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DOLLARS OUT OF MY OWN POCKET. I HAD AN OPERATION AT UCSF BY THE HEAD OF ORAL MAXIOFACIAL SURGERY TO REMOVE THE PLATFORM HOLDING MY LOWER DENTURE REMOVED, BECAUSE OF THE PAIN - WHICH INFECTED THE IMPLANTS - AND CAUSED INTOLERABLE PAIN THAT OXYCODONE DID NOT HELP. I WAS IN CONSTANT SEVERE PAIN FOR 8 MONTHS. IN MAY MY STANFORD DENTIST/DOCTOR PERFORMED SURGERY TO REMOVE THE IMPLANTS, INFECTED TISSUE, AND TO PLACE BONE GRAFTS ON MY LOWER JAW, WHICH IS BARELY NON-EXISTENT. IN FEBRUARY, SINCE I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH LARYNGEAL/PHARYNGEAL DYSPYHAGIA, STENOSIS, MY OTOLARYNGOLOGIST ATTEMPTED TO INFLATE MY ESOPHAGUS AND REMOVE RADIATION SCAR TISSUE, SO THAT IT WOULD HELP MY SWALLOWING. IT DID NOT. I HAVE BEEN ON A POOR LIQUID DIET FOR THE PAST 7 YEARS. FINALLY, I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MELANOMA CANCER ON MY BACK IN SEPTEMBER. IT WAS SURGICALLY REMOVED AS WELL AS FIVE LYMPH NODES UNDER MY LEFT ARM DUE TO MY PREVIOUS DIAGNOSIS OF LYMPH NODE CANCER.RECENTLY, I HAVE HAD VERY BAD BACK PAIN, WHERE I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO LIFT A PIECE OF PAPER FROM THE FLOOR, EMPTY THE DISHWASHER, OR GET INTO MY CAR.A 12/15 MRI AND A SUBSEQUENT XRAY SHOWED THAT I HAVE ASPIRATIONAL PNEUMONIA. IN COMPARISON TO A MAY XRAY, IN MAY 2015, THE 12/15 XRAY INDICATES THAT THE ASPIRATIONAL PNEUMONIA IS GROWING. THE HEAD OF OTOLARYNGOTOMY ASKED ME TO COME IN IMMEDIATELY AND TALK TO HIM ABOUT HAVING A LARYNGECTOMY TO PROLONG MY LIFE, WHICH I REFUSED. I ALSO REFUSED A STOMACH TUBE (WHICH CAN BRING MORE BACTERIA TO MY LUNGS.)I AM EXHAUSTED AT BEING A PATIENT SO MUCH OF MY ADULT LIFE (32 YEARS) I AM NOW 64. I HAVE SOME"EXHAUSTIVE TESTS WITH STANFORD'S PULMONARY DEPARTMENT 1/14/2016 AND A FOLLOW UP VISIT 2.2/16. I KNOW I AM "TERMINAL".BUT REALISTICALLY, WITHOUT ANY TREATMENTS, EVEN ANY ANTIBIOTICS, HOW LONG IS LIFE SPAN? I KNOW THE END WILL BE VERY UNPLEASANT. BUT, I WILL NOT HAVE A LARYNGECTOMY AND BREATHE OUT OF A HOLE IN MY THROAT AND SPEAK WITH AN ARTIFICIAL VOICE BOX,ANY ESTIMATES YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! GOOGLE STATED 5-8 YEARS. I CAN LIVE WITH THAT. I CAN LIVE WITH A SHORTER TIME FRAME.I KNOW I WILL EVENTUALLY GET BRONCHECTASIS.SINCERELY, JANA 'YANA" MCNULTY
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

It is difficult to say it. A retrospective study found the 30-day mortality rate in aspiration pneumonia to be 21% overall and 29.7% in hospital-associated aspiration pneumonia. This mortality range depends on complications of the disease.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
WHAT ARE THE RATES FOR THE 70%?

The data is with the treatment. As long as I know, STOMACH TUBE & LARYNGECTOMY doesn't help further aspiration. You should have antibiotics to prevent bacteria infection. 30-day survival is around 79% overall and 70.3% in hospital-associated aspiration pneumonia. If bacterial aspiration pneumonia is not treated early, it can lead to development of complications, including lung abscess and bronchopleural fistula. You should have antibiotics if you have bacteria infection.