Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I was diagnosed with Superficial Phlebitis around the 10th

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with Superficial Phlebitis around the 10th of Dec, 2014 (Dr ruled out DVT in clinic-no official tests were done, visual examination). I took all of my prescribed round of Prednisone, and I felt great, I could walk and was out of pain almost immediately!
Once done the meds, about 8 days worth, the pain and struggling to walk almost immediately returns. Days later, I took almost a weeks worth, (prescribed the same) of my sisters Prednisone. Once again, I was okay.
Today, is the 2nd day off of the steroid, and I have pain again in my left leg and foot. I didn't call the Dr and let him know once I was off of the meds, the first time, that the pain, swelling and inability to walk regularly came back.
I don't have Health Insurance currently, and that's one of the reasons I'm trying to self medicate. But there's something going on, if I'm not okay, off of the steroid. What should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. It is possible for the superficial thrombophlebitis to return even after steroids. Very rarely recurring thrombophlebitis can further lead to DVT but this is very rare and more of a theoretical thing. In your case DVT so far doesn't seem likely. Don't worry at this stage, I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situation you can take OTC tablet Aleve twice daily, you can massage the area with OTC Bengay gel twice daily and you can wear compression stockings on your affected leg till you get better. One thing is clear that you have to visit your doctor, my suggestions will help you to get better but this recurring problem definitely needs treatment. The measures for this recurring thrombophlebitis include application of heparin gel on the affected area and your doctor can inject Fondaparinux in your affected vein. It needs to be given for six weeks and it can help you get rid of this problem. There is nothing serious going on I reassure you but you should follow my suggestions and they are going to help you a lot. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** helps!

You are most welcome. Please remember to rate my answer. My best wishes and prayers will be following you. Regards