Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

In the last week I have takne my blood pressure readings 16

Customer Question

In the last week I have takne my blood pressure readings 16 times at various times of the day. Only 4 were under 150. With 9 being over 170. Tonight my readings were 170/74 - 177/80 - 180/ 84 - 193/92. I am 72 year old male, weight 220, height 8'8". Very sedentary lifestyle. Should I go to hospital
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If the upper blood pressure value, also called systolic blood pressure, remains above 180, it is recommended that the patient should be seen urgently. It is recommended that when a reading above 180 is obtained, then it would be appropriate to first sit down or lay down and rest for about 5-10 minutes and recheck the blood pressure. If the recheck of blood pressure with a short rest is still above 180, then it would be appropriate to be seen at the hospital.

If the blood pressure gets below 180, such as in the 170s, then it still deserves attention, but it does not need to be done urgently, and you can contact your regular doctor once the office opens.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.