Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a son who is eight. He comes to visit me time to time

Customer Question

I have a son who is eight. He comes to visit me time to time throughout the year. Usually within about 2 days of his visit he will start to wheeze through his breathing and find his chest is slightly tighter.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is is Dr. David

it sounds like he is getting asthma attacks when he comes to visit you.

cigarette smoke, animal hair, dust, mold, other allergens in the home could be causing worsening of his asthma.

do you have any of these in the home which could be causing him these asthma problems?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your response and time. The last time he was down to visit I took him to our gap. He believed it was an environmental issue and that the air is just more dense where I live and what he is used to. I thought it might be moisture in the air or the house so I have since tried a dehumidifier and I have completely ch caked his sleeping room for damp. I don't feel I can do more to help his breathing. I don't smoke or have animals and anyone else visiting hasn't had this problem. Me and my partner have been here now for 2 and a half years. I'm very concerned as the wheezing does not sound pleasant at all.

dehumidifier is a good idea.

make sure he has his asthma medications. and a nebulizer at your place in case his asthma gets worse.

he might need an air purifier in the room as well.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well he doesn't have asthma medication as he has never needed it before. It seems he only gets this problem when visiting in my area. Can his wheezing in any way be caused by over excitement and over playing video games? I really don't understand what could be causing his breathing problem.

yes, overexcitement can cause wheezing and asthma

he needs to be brought to the pediatrician when he is wheezing like this.

they will very quickly diagnose him as having asthma exacerbation

and give him prescriptions for metered dose inhaler and nebulizers for his condition