Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Had prophylactic bilateral mastectomy in 2005. Cancer in

Customer Question

Had prophylactic bilateral mastectomy in 2005. Cancer in both breasts. Just three nodes found in breast tissue biopsied and found neg. No axillary nodes removed. I do not the doctor wants to use my wrist when doing a cardiac angiogram. I am afraid of getting lymphedema. Should I request a femoral approach?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

almost all coronary angiograms which inject contrast dye into the blood vessels which feed the heart use the femoral vein to get into the blood vessels.

the wrists are not used.

the wrist are only used for arterial blood gases which I don't think they will need in your case.

you can tell your doctors who are doing the procedure you have a history of breast cancer and lymph node surgery.

and you are afraid of lymphedema.

they will do their best to avoid blood pressure cuffs and blood draws from that arm

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com