Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

, My left nipple is very sore to touch.. everything

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****---
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My left nipple is very sore to touch . . everything else is fine. There is no lump, discharge or sores
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

How long has the nipple been tender?

Have you tried anything to relieve the tenderness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 3 months now.
Tried some polysporin,

Thank you for the additional information.

There are many different possible causes of sore nipples. Many causes are benign, such as excessive friction on the nipple, local infections, excessive dryness, or an allergy/sensitivity. However, there are some more significant problems that can cause nipple soreness, such as inflammation or tumor of the nipple/breast or systemic conditions, such as hormonal changes.

When the soreness has been of short duration, it is reasonable to try some home interventions. The polysporin was a reasonable medicine to try for control of a local infection. Since this did not help, it would be reasonable to try different home interventions. It may help to use a moisturizing cream or a hydrocortisone cream, which can help with dryness or an allergy/sensitivity respectively. If these home interventions are not helpful, then it would be reasonable to see your doctor for a proper evaluation.

Would any other information be helpful?

If there is no other information that would be helpful, then I will close the question.

Once I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating, but please ask for any additional information that would be helpful.