DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have a client whose son got a bad bruise on the buttocks.

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. This is Shari. I have a client whose son got a bad bruise on the buttocks. It was reported about 12 hours after leaving her care. I'm wondering if it would take that long to appear?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She noticed a baseball sized bruise when she bathed him, just before he left her. Twelve hours later, he was photographed with dark bruising covering his entire buttocks.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure. I also had a physician opine, based on looking at a photo, that the bruise was caused by non-accidental means, specifically, that it was "indicative of clenching of the buttocks in anticipation of further blows, which were then delivered, causing bruising." Could that opinion be rendered to a reasonable degree of scientific certainty by viewing a photo of a bruise?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Yes

An initial bruise can keep bleeding and then become a much larger bruise.

This is common.

However, if it becomes too large it needs to be assessed, and the patient must have bleeding disorders, fractures and so on ruled out.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.