Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Wondering does shingles in first weeks present as swelling

Customer Question

Hi wondering does shingles in first weeks present as swelling as well as burning pain. I am 46 and for 10 days have had shingle like pain under left armpit to left mid ribs and around to scapula area, very same specific area every day. It hurts to put on jog bra because the skin is so tender and swollen but doesn't hurt when I exercise- rather the opposite. It hurts most when inactive. My menstral cycle ends today.
I've had shingles pain in past but not usually with swelling. There is no rash. No other symptoms. Just had mamogram dec 21. Pain had already begun. If it were bc wouldn't it have shown on mammo? Should I bother seeing dr?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.

Hi and thanks for query,

Shingles can present with burning pain but swelling is less likely, it can be radiculopathy that is nerve impingement so i would suggest you should visit your doctor to have thorough examination so that timely diagnosis and treatment can be given. Swelling can be of lymph nodes. You should get your EKG as well to rule out any heart problem as pain is on left side.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating.

Best wishes.

Wish you good health.

Let me know i​f you have further questions.