Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband has type 2 diabetes. He has been experiencing

Customer Question

My husband has type 2 diabetes. He has been experiencing extreme fatigue for two days and also abdominal pain. Just now he turned white and said he was too tired to make dinner. His blood tested at 298. I had him do a half dose of his nightly insulin and let him lay down. He has an appointment with his primary care physician Tues am. Should I take him to the ER?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Generally speaking, it would be the severity of symptoms that would indicate whether he should be seen quickly. Since you say that he is having extreme fatigue and is unable to perform house activities, that would typically warrant being seen urgently. If he has not already tried drinking an increased amount of fluids, it would be reasonable to first drink about a liter of fluids to see if the symptoms improve, but if the symptoms persist, it would be appropriate to be seen. If there is an Urgent Care Center open in your area, that would be an option, but if the ER is the only place that is open, then it may need to be in the ER. If he is starting to improve with the fluids, even if not yet completely normal, it would be reasonable to continue increased fluid intake to see if the symptoms can at least be less severe, and if the symptoms are less severe, then it is not necessary to be seen urgently.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking future questions.

This is a link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/