Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been diagnosed with diverticular disease about 5

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with diverticular disease about 5 years ago. About 3 years ago i had key hole surgery through my bellybutton for a double hernia around my groin area. About a year ago i sarted to get consipated and bloated some days where digesting food was not happening. I have got blunt dentures so thought that may of played a big part in it. My lefthand side of my stomach has had some strange feelings to it and when i go to the toilet at all my feaces is large and hard. I am of adverage size and athetic build.
What do you diagnose and does my blunt dentures play a part?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

I think that with the symptoms you are having you need to be further evaluated with further tests.

The best test to have a look at the gut from the inside is a colonoscopy.

Before that a barium enema can be done to visualize the large gut to rule out any narrowing in the large gut that could be causing constipation.

I do not think that the blunt dentures are playing any part in your current symptoms.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end.

Kindest regards

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is a different expert, with a different answer.

I would like to answer the questions you have asked.

There is no established reason that the blunt dentures [please tell me exactly what you have, brand, etc] would play a part.

In theory, some materials can evoke sensitivity [autoimmune] in some individuals. Like I said, in theory but we can talk more about this.

We do not diagnose on line.

As far as the GI possibilities. You need an exam.

These are not typical symptoms of diverticulosis, but it is possible.

Irritable bowel, other bowel problems are possible, including various problems of inflammation.

If you have not had a clean colonoscopy [I assume they did one five years ago?] in the last 10 years, this would be indicated.

Otherwise, much different testing which we can go over.

Please click a positive rating for Dr. Thomas

Come back as needed.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor. Find me in medical by request any day of the week, for accurate, fast, precise, safe and comprehensive answers. Use a long request lock and "for Dr. Thomas only" in the question title. I will get to you fast between 9am and 9pm EST

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I just want to add that since your constipation is a recent development and even if you had a colonoscopy done five years back you will most likely still require another colonoscopy to have your problem evaluated further.

Since this problem started only a year ago it is VERY UNLIKELY to be irritable bowel syndrome as far as I am concerned (mentioned by the other expert).

Another thing mentioned by the other expert is "varoius problems of inflammation", if you had inflammation such as colitis, you would most likely not be having constipation, you would rather be having diarrhea.

Let me know if you have more questions.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end when you are done asking.

Kindest regards