DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My father has Hepatic Encephalopathy and is dying. Isn't

Customer Question

My father has Hepatic Encephalopathy and is dying. Isn't there anything that abbé done? Doctors have given up on him.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If it is endstage liver disease and he is not a candidate for a liver transplant, there is no conventional medical treatment that stops the progress.

However, that does not mean nothing can be done. He should be in hospice, which means there is a doctor and nursing to keep him comfortable through the process.

At 90 he will not qualify for a liver transplant, as he would not survive the surgery.

On the other hand, this can be managed effectively and he needs a hospice doctor as well as a liver doctor involved in his care, if not already done.

Sorry about your dad.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand and he is under Hospice care. I was hoping for a miracle cure.
I heard a few months ago when my father was first admitted to the hospital that there was a new liver drug coming out at the end of the year. Do you know anything about that?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

There is a new drug for hepatitis, before there is end stage liver disease.

No miracle cure at this point for the situation you describe.

OK, so that is an initial answer….