DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I recently was experiencing inability to take a deep breath

Customer Question

Hi. I recently was experiencing inability to take a deep breath and having pain in my shoulders. Went to my pc and she did an ekg which came back as borderline with an intra atrial conduction delay. She advised me to go to the er which they performed an ekg with the same findings. They ran blood tests and did chest xray and doctor said everything was fine. It was only on one track and very minimal he said no treatment was needed. I have heart palps. Constantly. I am also am anxiety sufferer. I currently take paxil 20mg klonopin 1mg daily and gabapentin 100 mg daily. My question is should I get a follow up on this. I feel like I was rushed out with no real explanation. Is this a potential serious problem?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

In fact this finding is not usually, or almost never, a serious finding.

Only if there are other findings.

YOu probably have PVCs. which are harmless and account for the palpitations.

Based on all of this your doctor need to rule out

valve disease and mitral valve prolapse

structural heart disease

hypertension.

Your are at somewhat higher risk of developing atrial arrythmias, such as atrial fibrillation.

If you were my patient I would have you, see a cardiologist at least once.

Run a 24 hour holter home monitor.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping that a cardiologist would answer. Is that possible?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Cardiology is a sub specialty of my board certification.

I am the best on line at the moment, and I have advanced functional cardiology training/

In fact, no one can become a cardiologist without first being board certified in internal medicine.

I have given you extensive a and correct answers here. And, my training goes beyond conventional cardiology.

If you have another question, I will be glad to answer.

Did you?

Is there something about my answer that you don't understand.

In fact, you should have an echo cardiogram. That is the next indicated test along with a holter.

OK, so that is an initial answer….