Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I lost my spleen in 1978. Since then life has been generally

Customer Question

I lost my spleen in 1978. Since then life has been generally normal. In 1989, I contracted Ross river and it took what seemed forever a lifetime to recover from- for the last three months, I have been feeling achey off and on and every time I tried to get back into fitness, the aches would come back and the lethargy resulted in me just having to rely down. In late November, I was blood tested and Ross river was positive. I have been back to my doctor twice since feeling very lethargic and his response today was that it's either the Ross river or stress-
Such a response has left me wondering am I making this up or am I suffering the lethargy due to Ross River
Does not having a spleen name it a longer process to recovery! No one seems to be able to give me a straight answer
Please help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Yes lack of spleen can cause protracted recovery period.

Ross river virus can trigger immune response which can cause damage to your joints, muscles etc.

The symptoms may sometimes persist for several months.

The problem is due to theabnormal immune rsponse not from the virus anymore now.

Rhumatological disorders like polymyalgia rheumatica should also be ruled out.

Please consult with a rhumatologist also.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello

The spleen is mainly involved in preventing specific bacteria from infecting you.

It is not predominantly involved in viral infection.

This infection mainly involves the T lymphocyte area of the immune response.

In most people, symptoms are gone after 6 weeks.

Some people can still have symptoms after a year or two.

'

Please read this write up:

http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/health+topics/health+conditions+prevention+and+treatment/infectious+diseases/ross+river+virus+infection/ross+river+virus+infection+-+including+symptoms+treatment+and+prevention

You also need to talk to your doctor about the fact that this virus can lead to a post viral syndrome that meets the criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome in 10 to 12% of patients. And you should be treated accordingly.

Here is a write up on this:

http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/causes/

I am a double board certified clinical doctor.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please click a positive on Dr. Thomas's answer page here, the scale is at the top.

Find me anytime in medical for accurate, prompt, comprehensive medical answers.

If you would like to talk about forefront treatments for this situation after rating here, please find me by request in medical Use "for Dr. Thomas only" in the question title, and a long request lock.