Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Dr phil. I have had pain in my wrist since the middle of

Customer Question

Dr phil. I have had pain in my wrist since the middle of october. No injury. It seems to hurt more if i move my pinkie. Saw my pcp the dah after thankdgiving. He thought tendonitis and did a steroid injection. It helped for maybe 24 hours. However the pain is getting worse
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

He seems to be working right now. May I take your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
I will wait
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I see that your expert has opted out and your requested expert has not been able to connect with you.

How can I assist you?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sure

Do you have any other symptoms?

How old are you?

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Can you remember doing anything to injure your wrist?

Would you say it has been getting worse the last few months? If so, how is your ability to use your wrist limited now?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No other symptoms. If i turn my wrist towards the pinkie side ot hurts more. I am 26. I think my height and weight is irrelevant. I dont remember doing anything to it. It is getting worse. My pinkie finger and the next finger over feel weaker. I take dexilant, ranitidine, maxalt when needed, zofran

Thank you for that additional information.

I do not like that this has been going on since October without showing any improvement.....

And it is obvious that a steroid shot was not the cure.....

So. What to do?

At this point you need to see a different doctor and get a better workup.

I suggest consulting with an orthopedic surgeon. She will examine your wrist and, most likely, order an imaging study starting with a regular Xray and if needed an MRI.

You need a diagnosis-directed treatment plan at this point instead of just throwing a dose of steroids at the problem.

Until you can get in perhaps hot compresses, wrist brace, tylenol and rest will give you a little relief.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Have a Very Merry Holiday Season!

I hope your wrist feels better soon.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do you think it could be

It could be carpel tunnel syndrome, it might be something pressing on a nerve, it might be a joint issue or a tendon issue or a ligament issue or an autoimmune issue....

Impossible to sort out without a full exam and ancillary studies.

But, it has been going on for too long and needs a competent workup.

Make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS