Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was a work on monday night and I smelled some bleach, soap

Customer Question

I was a work on monday night and I smelled some bleach, soap and water and I started to Couhh alot to the point where I had difficulty breathing but I didnt want to worry my coworkers so I left and did something else until the smell was gone for a bit...than I came home and my mom was using vinager for cleaning. My stomach hurts alot, and has been hurting for a week proir to that. I have diarrhea, extremely dry hands, sometimes I feel like thorwing up but this feeling comes and goes...I am also unable to sleep and extremely itchy all over but there are no rashes...just really itchy...what do I do and what in the world is happening to my body?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could provide some further information.

Were you feeling completely well up to one week ago?

Or have you been having some of these symptoms for a longer period of time, either every day or only some days?

Have you tried anything to ease the symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
not really I was starting to get stomach pain...like the muscles are all so stiff...my whole body is extremly stiff, it has been so still for months, what can I do about this?? My stomach was the worst stiffness of them all! I couldnt bend, streach, sit, stand, lay down...It was extremely painful...till now...
I have been trying to drink alot of liquids like water and warm fluids till now, but I still feel the same and no improvements at all...
Also my right hand top where the knuckles are Its like pink red and sometimes tomatoe red..and unable to itch it because of I have scratches all over...can you also please help me with this?

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several conditions to consider in this situation.

The description of symptoms is most worrisome for environmental sensitivity, which can be an allergy, but when you are responding to a variety of odors, it is more typical for non-allergic disease, such as vasomotor disease. This will cause symptoms similar to allergies, but many different environmental stimuli can precipitate symptoms, including any strong odor or changes in environmental conditions, such as temperature or barometric pressure.

When someone has sudden worsening of allergic or non-allergic symptoms, the most common cause would be a viral infection, as the infection will increase the sensitivity.

There are several interventions that you can try at home to help with these symptoms. The primary interventions will be an oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl, although there are many others. An H2 blocker, such as ranitidine, may help with the respiratory and the abdominal symptoms. There is also now a steroid nasal spray available over the counter, Nasacort, that may work better than antihistamines for many people. It also would be important to perform general supportive care, such as getting plenty of rest and drinking plenty of fluids.

If these interventions ease the symptoms, then no further evaluation or treatment is necessary, but if the symptoms persist, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont inderstand the tfirssht half of the message...can you please explain it in simpler terms because I am not a science person...and also with the medication you said, are they all over the counter? Are they liquids or tabletss? and how long do I take the medication for?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't understand the first* half of the message thay you sent....
and every how long do I take this medication? Do I take them all or just any one of them?

Environmental sensitivity is when something in the environment causes a response in the body. An allergy occurs when a specific substance in the environment elicits that response through the immune system, causing the body to form a specific antibody. Non-allergic reactions do not occur because of the immune system.

Allergies will only cause symptoms when you are exposed to the specific substance to which you are sensitive, such as pollen of a specific plant or dust mites. Non-allergic disease can cause symptoms in a wider variety of circumstances.

Allergies are very common, with respiratory allergies affecting about 20-30% of the population at some point in their lives. Non-allergic disease is also fairly common, although not as common as allergies. However, when someone is responding to multiple different environmental stimuli, it is more likely to be non-allergic disease.

It would be reasonable to try each medicine separately to know which medicine is helping the symptoms. You will know within a couple days whether the oral medicines are helping, but the nasal spray may take a week or two. The medicines can be taken as needed for relief of symptoms, so may be a short or a long duration, depending upon the duration of symptoms. If the medicines work well, but the symptoms recur when you try to stop the medicine, then that indicates that you need to continue to take the medicines. It is impossible to know at the beginning how long the symptoms will be present.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay...are they all on the shelf or do they need prescription?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was exposed to bleach many times before, why would I be alergic now? or does does it make a ddifference to the body whether or not one or two chemicals at the same time? like being exposed to bleach at work and than expled to viniger at home with less than 1 hour or 30 min inbwtween?

They are over the counter.

As I said above, a new onset of symptoms is frequently due to a viral infection. However, any pattern of exposure can cause symptoms, depending upon the sensitivity of the individual.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay,do you recommend me using all or just one? and if all what are the names of them?

As I said above, it would be reasonable to try each medicine separately to know which medicine is helping the symptoms. I gave sample names of each type of medicine above.