Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

Husband is longtime alcoholic 70 years old has had

Customer Question

Customer: Husband is longtime alcoholic 70 years old has had Pancreatitus and has embolisms ,is on warfarin, being monitored continuing to drink. Is complaining of shortness of breath after ANY upright activity. Does not believe his shortness of breath is linked to alcoholism and says he cant exercise at all because of shortness of breath. Help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is consuming about 8 to 10 beer a day possibly more. Balance and judgement impaired.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is also using pot twice a day , or more for his PTSD is 100% disabled vet, has anxiety and social phobia issues.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His blood pressure is normal his heart is in good condition he has NEVER smoked cigarettes
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Sudden onset of shortness of breath can be due to the pulmonary embolism or blood clot in the lung blood vessels.

Fluid collection in the lungs from infection is another possibility.

Both these conditions can cause serious life threatening complications if not treated promptly.

Hence better to go to the ER and get a CT scan of the lungs.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for requesting me to answer this query.What medication is he on currently?Has he had similar issues in the past?Pleural effusions and Pancreatitis may cause a similar symptoms,a physical check up and investigations to check his pulmonary and cardiac status would help.