Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

I tested negative after 91 days of my last exposure which

Customer Question

I tested negative for hiv after 91 days of my last exposure which was on 1/09/15 n tested negative on 30/11/15. Is that conclusive if so plz provide evidence
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, a test obtained 3 months after exposure is considered conclusive. The latest generation of HIV tests are much more sensitive than the previous tests, and testing beyond 3 months after an exposure is no longer recommended. There was a time at which testing at 6 months was recommended, but with the current tests, this is no longer needed.

For evidence, I would refer to the current guidelines for post-exposure prophylaxis, see http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/post-exposure-prophylaxis/hiv-prophylaxis-following-non-occupational-exposure/. When they discuss the changes in the October of 2014 Update, it is noted that HIV testing should be obtained at 4 weeks and 12 weeks, and that testing at 6 months is no longer recommended. The same recommendation is repeated in the body of the document, about half way down the page.

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile for asking future questions.

This is a link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my exposure was on 1/9/15 does that mean i should have tested on 1/12/15 to make it 3 months

No. As this document says, a test at 12 weeks would be correct. Many people find it easier to remember a 3 month anniversary, but testing at either 12 weeks or 3 months would be all that is needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it make any difference 12 weeks versus 13 weeks versus 3 months and my last question is there any chance whatsoever my result could change if i ever test again

No, any of these dates would be fine. The test will not change from this exposure. If you are otherwise sexually active, there is always a chance that you may get an infection later, but there is no further risk from this encounter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No am not sexually active at all. How can any of these are fine because 12=84 n full three months or 13 weeks=90 days as there are 52 weeks in a year so i am confused plz forgive me n be patient

Any of these are fine because testing at 12 weeks is fine, as indicated in the guidelines that I referenced above. The use of 3 months is easier to remember and schedule, so is used by many doctors and clinics, but testing at 12 weeks is fine. The fact that 12 weeks is not equal to 3 months is irrelevant, since 3 month testing would be after 12 week testing. Testing any time after 12 weeks would be fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been clenching my teeth due to severe anxiety n now my bottom front teeth are throbbing. Is there something u recommend to make it ease or go away

That is a separate question and I would appreciate that you provide a positive rating for the answer to your original question before addressing other questions.

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Chaithanya here. Let me go ahead and give you an answer for the question you asked.

Teeth grinding can be harmful because it can cause loosening of teeth or fractures as well.

The treatment of teeth grinding due to anxiety are, attending stress counseling, starting an exercise programme after seeing a physical therapist, or obtaining a prescription for muscle relaxants from a doctor.

Avoiding caffeine, chocolate, alcohol can be helpful.

Hope I helped you today. If done for now, please leave positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A bonus from your side is always welcome and appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Please remember to provide a positive rating for the answers that I provided to the original question that you posted.

Thank you for the posiitive rating in advance. Good day!

I appreciate your positive rating. Good day!