Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

About 3 weeks ago, I had diarrheal, then I had a normal size

Customer Question

about 3 weeks ago, I had diarrheal, then I had a normal size stool, but every stool after that is kinda narrow from what I can tell, It's not pencil thin or anything like that. I don't have any problems going to the bathroom. But I did notice that I'm not going to the bathroom in the morning like iusually do after eating breakfast or drinking coffee. Any insights on what this could be.I googled some things on the internet but always came back with the worst scenerio possible and now my mind wont go to ease always thinking of the worst....
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

How old are you? Are you male or female? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Any other symptoms such as abdominal pain? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am 28, male, 5ft-10, 205lbs, NO WEIGHT CHANCE, NO ABDOMINAL PAIN, NO MEDICAL PROBLEMS, NO SURGERIES, NO and NO./
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

I think you are worried about colon cancer. It is very less likely you have it at your age if you don't have family history of colon cancer. You should eat enough vegetables and fruits, drink a lot of liquid, and exercise such as walking in the morning. You should see your doctor to have blood sugar checked to rule out diabetes and have an occult fecal blood test. I also recommend you lose weight with diet and exercise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are right. my mind will not let go of the colon cancer symptoms and scare.how would this all come about, i was pooping normal until I had the diarrheal, then I noticed immediately after diarrhea that I had 1 large normal stool and now all of a sudden it's kind of narrow than usual. Am I worrying 2 much about this or is it really nothing and I just need to relax..I'd like to go back to pooping normal after breakfast, drinking coffee or anything else. Any suggestions
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You could have mild irritable bowel syndrome. You should eat enough food containing fiber such as whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits, drink a lot of liquid, and exercise such as walking in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i work for Dr Pepper, so I do alot of walking already...so basically, this really isnt anything to worry bout, I do poop, it's just narrow, brown, and not what I'm used to.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Try to eat enough food containing fiber such as whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits, and drink a lot of liquid. If it doesn't work in 2 weeks, you should have colonoscopy although colon cancer is very less likely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why do you think colon cancer is very less likely??
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Because of your age and family history.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh ok. Any insights on what else could cause this?? narrow stools
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) besides colon cancer causes narrow stools.