Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am on unlimited subscription plan. I have been diagnosed

Customer Question

I am on unlimited subscription plan. I have been diagnosed with a bacterial infection. I have sores on my leg that aren't healing, been like that for three years. What can I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the details.

If these are non healing ulcers that are infected secondarily then you need to have a more thorough evaluation for the underlying cause of their formation, these causes are usually related to vascular insufficiency. A doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs will yield good information about this. If there is vascular insufficiency then antibiotics alone will not help with healing and a vascular surgeon's consultation will be warranted.

If these are due to the bacterial infection primarily then you should continue taking the antibiotic. Ulcers can take 3 to 4 weeks to start healing after commencement of the antibiotic. Do get your cultures sent if not already done to identify the bacteria that has contaminated the wound and which antibiotic it is sensitive to. An infectious disease specialist will be the best person to seek a consultation from in that case.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Let me know if you have any queries about this.

Best.