khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I had a dexa scan a couple of months ago, and ever since

Customer Question

I had a dexa scan a couple of months ago, and ever since then, I have a burning sensation in my left hip. Is this possible?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

Did DEXA show any abnormality? How old are you? How much do you weigh? Any weigh change? Exactly where is it? On a scale of 0-10, what is it with 0 being no pain and 10 being the strongest pain? Does anything make it better or worse Do you have pain, tingling sensation, numbness in your left leg? Lower back pain? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? When you move the hip joint, do you have pain? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am 71 years old, and weigh around 150 pounds (lost 30 pounds over a year ago, and walk about 2 miles a day - 1 mile a.m. and 1 mile pm). The pain is about a 6 and located mostly on the front and toward the outside of my leg in proximity of the groin area. I can feel the outer/lower side of the hip bone where it hurts. I do have the tinkling, numbness in that area but not in my left leg (yet?). Moving makes it ease. Otherwise, I am in very good health, am very active. The only meds I take are vitamins (D3, Caltrate) and an Armour Thyroid script. No family history of this sort. My mother is still alive at 96! Thank you.

Since you had DEXA a couple of months ago, bone fractures are less likely. It could be Meralgia paresthetica which is a condition characterized by tingling, numbness and burning pain in your outer thigh. The cause of meralgia paresthetica is compression of the nerve (lateral femoral cutaneous nerve) that supplies sensation to the skin surface of your thigh. You should see your doctor to have X-ray, MRI, nerve conduction study, and lateral femoral cutaneous nerve block if necessary.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much. This is what I was planning to do in January, but thought I'd check it out here first.

You are welcome. Take are.