Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

Mother is type 2 diabetic. Father is not diabetic. I am 6'1

Customer Question

Mother is type 2 diabetic. Father is not diabetic. I am 6'1 275-80 pounds. I am working on my weight. Got tested for diabetes elate last year and nothing showed any signs of it. Very afraid this will happen. I have eye floaters and non intense blurred vision it's more an occasional thing in one eye, but in general it could be from eye fatigue since I work in tech and look at screens all day.
To my knowledge i don't have an increased thirst. I do drink water, problem is that I am a smoker and looking to quit.
Chances of diabetes? What should I look out for in terms of signs
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 11 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced General Physiciann attending you today.

If one of the parents is type 2 diabetic, there is 50% chances of children to get that.

So, you have 50% chance of getting diabetes.

Now Over-weight, unhealthy diet habits [more of fatty foods], smoking, stress all are aggravating factors that diabetes can occur at little early ages.

So, avoid the risk factors, decrease weight, do regular exercise and stop smoking.

Your eye floaters can be due to eye fatigue or any eye related problem because if it is due to diabetes or any medical issue it is usually in bith eyes. Consult an eye doctor if the symptoms persisit.

The signs you should look for in diabetes are,

• Frequent urination.
  • Excessive thirst.
  • Increased hunger.
  • Weight loss.
  • Tiredness.
  • Lack of interest and concentration.
  • A tingling sensation or numbness in the hands or feet.
  • Blurred vision.

Keep checking Fasting blood sugars every 3 months.

If done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A bonus from your side is always welcome and appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com