Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

75 year old athlete in great physical shape. slipped on edge

Customer Question

Customer: 75 year old athlete in great physical shape. slipped on edge of stairs last night. large bump developed on left side of lower back. iced immediately three times for 20 minutes, took ibuprofen and fell asleep on right side. some stiffness this morning from remaining semi-hard large bump with no discoloring, no pain or major discomfort. will continue to apply ice with pressure for 1st 72 hours. should i apply heat afterwards, see a doctor or avoid physical activity. thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you want to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $34) to post your type of question to Medical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
have tennis game scheduled for this morning and seem reasonably limber and no discomfort from full movement. should i not play and rest and continue to ice?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You should continue to apply only ice to prevent any bleeding under the skin.

The hematoma forms due to the blood leakage from the torn blood vessels under the skin.

Hence, icing is better.

Also you should avoid physical activities as much as possible.

Keeping pressure over the lump may help to avoid any further swelling.

Avoid any blood thinning medication like aspirin, ibuprofen naproxen for now.

Tylenol is safe to take for pain as it does not cause bleeding.

If you develop sudden leg weakness, or buttock numbness, or urinary/bowel incontinence then there is likely fracture of the vertebra and spinal cord compression.

That will require urgent medical evaluation.

Otherwise you can wait to see your doctor later.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello

this is a different expert and I have a different answer for you. I am a double board certified US clinical doctor. Dr. Thomas. You can find me any day of the week in medical by request.

See a doctor now. This still could represent a minor fracture. At your age, any fall like this requires a full structural evaluation. I do not consider this a watch and wait situation.

Avoid all activity.

Rest , continue ice and ibuprofen.

At least go to urgent care to get cleared, and then follow up with an MD specialist of physical medicine, or an orthopedist, or your doctor.

Good luck.

Please click a positive, that is how we are paid.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Save time, get precise, comprehensive, safe and accurate answers daily from Dr. Thomas.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

I am the original expert on your question.

Please avoid ibuprofen as that can cause more bleeding in the lump.

Also, this is not emergency if you do not have any leg weakness, buttock numbness, or incontinence.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

Hello

IF this appears to be bruising or bleeding, ibuprofen is better to avoid.

If this were a hard lump, from bleeding, it is more reason to be seen and examined now.

As you state, this is a semi-hard lump, which is unusual, yes, it could be tissue damage. It is not discolored so it is less likely a bleed per se, although we can not examine it. It can be a reaction to more vital damage, say, of bone.

Unfortunately, over the counter options are limited. If you would like to also find me on a new post in medical [the additional service option is blocked to me here], we can go into natural means to help while you are on your way to the doc. I happen to be board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine.

You state that pain is not a problem, so continue icing.

However, the idea that you can go about your business without exam would not be a good one, as a minor problem can become a bigger problem.

For example, mild ligament damage, which, with a lack of attention, becomes a chronic problem.

We can not examine you, so we really can not assess the extent of your injury.

As I read your question, it basically expresses a real concern about what your level of activity should be. This can not be assessed without exam. If you are cleared today, you can have a better idea about going about your business.

I would strongly urge you to

rest

ice

see a doctor to day to play it safe.

Other examples

A bleed

A fracture

Disc problems that could advance

etc.

IF you can attach a picture of this lump, I can give you a more accurate assessment as to what you can to until you see the doctor, and what this might be.

Please click a positive rating. We are paid by just answer PER positive rating, for bonuses and for accepted add services offers.

Find Dr. Thomas any time.