Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have all the symptons of the flu achey all over, chest

Customer Question

I have all the symptons of the flu achey all over, chest congestion, coughing, weezing, coughing up mucus, mostly green or clear. I live in the Branosn Mo. area and I've herd that their is a flu outbreak. I'm allergyic to eurythromycin.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.

Hi and thanks for query, do you have fever?

Most of the outbreaks of flu are viral in etiology and an antibiotic is not required. The treatment is supportive and with over the counter anti pyretics like Tylenol taken 2 tablets every 6 to 8 hours, bed rest, good hydration with oral rehydration solutions and chicken soup, sleep with a head up tilt of about 30 to 45 degrees at night and also avoid spicy, salted, smoked and barbecued foods specially for dinner, since acid reflux can aggravate the condition.

If however, rest and supportive therapy does not resolve the symptoms, then you need to visit your doctor and s/he can give you a script for antibiotics and send a culture of your phlegm to the lab for more definitive antibiotics.

Let me know if you have any other queries related to this.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Get well soon.