Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Recently received both a upper GI endoscopy and a

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** received both a upper GI endoscopy and a colonoscopy. Both came clean. The GI doctor did not find anything. So why do I still feel bloated? Could there still be something wrong? I am very frustrated. I was treated for constipation
with miralax. I still had pressure undermy rib cage. I had xrays, cat scans done and they didn't find anything wrong. I was recommended to see the GI doctor. He conducted the upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy and didn't find anything. I still feel bloated.
Could there be a misdiagnosis or is it just gas? Do I continue to take the miralax once a day to insure regularity? I do have a probiotic (Nature's Bounty with 1 million organisms including acidophilus and lactobacillus). Is it safe to take it along with the
generic form of Benefiber that I have? I just want the bloating to go away permanently. I was told it may take months to disappear. I hope that is not true.The GI doctor also administered a biopsy and everything came out clean.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

You seem to have constipation-dominat irritable bowel syndrome. You should cut out such items as carbonated beverages, vegetables — especially cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower — and raw fruits. You should try lactose-free diet if it doesn't work. You should try a diet low in fermentable oligo-, di-, and monosaccharides and polyols (FODMAPs) (eg, foods that contain fructose, including honey, high-fructose corn syrup, apples, pears, mangoes, cherries, or oligosaccharides, including wheat). You should ask a dietitian. You should exercise every day like fast walk for 30 minutes before breakfast. You may introduce the generic form of Benefiber slowly and drink plenty of water every day. You may take the probiotics. If the Bebefiber doesn't work well, you may take miralax with it. If they still don't work well, you should try lubiprostone or linaclotide. They are prescription medications.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Speaking of miralax, is it safe to take the recommended capfull daily. I know some people who have been taking it for years. I just want to be safe and healthy.

If you use 17 to 34 grams once daily, it is safe.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its been pretty much a week now.
I still have severe bloating, and it takes forever for my food to digest. What could be going on? What should I tell my GI doctor tomorrow cause she claims she can't find nothing wrong.

That means most likely you have IBS. MiraLAX causes bloating as one of side effects. You should stop using it. Try Metamucil instead of eneric form of Benefiber. You should slowly increase the dose. If it doesn't work well, you should try lubiprostone or linaclotide in addition to Metamucil. They are prescription medications.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have an appointment with the GI doctor next Monday, December 28. What are some things I can do at home until the day of my appointment as far as comfort? Thanks.

As I mentioned, watch your food, try Metamucil, and stop MiraLAX.