Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My daughter-in-law (step son's wife) was admitted to

Customer Question

My daughter-in-law (step son's wife) was admitted to Bethesda Hospital in South Florida on Sunday with symptoms of diarrhea, dehydration, low BP - to a point low of 70/32. in the course of six weeks lost 35 lbs, which was 25% of body weight. We are in Massachusetts with limited information due to crisis, but here are some facts. Had baby ten months ago (first) and husband, baby and Talle all thought to have flu last month. Baby and hubby took antibiotic, while Talle was breast feeding and chose not to. Here we are now. Pretty careless, but all the same this is were we are. She has been in Critical care since sunday and was taken to a room last night and was brought back to critical care. on fluid diet now. Still no firm answer.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I completely understand your concerns from limited information.

Your daughter in law likely had a serious infection --given the weight loss constant diarrhea, bacterial infection is more likely.

Due to the dehydration and spreading bacterial toxins she went into septicemic shock.

That is triggered by body's overwhelming immune response.

That can continue for sometime even though infection itself may be gone.

Recovery will be gradual with careful monitoring.

Hence yes hard to calm your mind, but as long as her vital signs and lab numbers are improving, we are in right track.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
C Def testing was negative.
I'm concerned in the ability of facility and care providerConcerned over BP so low
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

That concern also crossed my mind.

I assumed that c diff will be negative since no hospital admission before.

Most likely E coli or salmonella, or shigella, or cholera infection --may not be detectable now.

or viral infection like noro virus outbreaks

However the current prblem is due to the systemin inflammatory response and getting a control over it.

You can consider transferring her to Mayo clinic if her numbers are not showing gradual improvement ( mainly kidney function, electrolytes, liver function, blood count numbers).

Best wishes