Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I've had a severe sore throat hours which is just

Customer Question

I've had a severe sore throat for 52 hours which is just getting worse and worse. Can't eat, drink, swallow or sleep. Ibuprofen does not make much difference. Paracetamol helps a bit but I only for 3 hours and I will to exceed daily max dose (8 500 mg tabs in 24 hours). The pain is unbearable. I had a fever for the first 24 hours, it's been intermittent ever since. What can I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Continue the acetaminophen (paracetamol) up to 8 x 500 mg tabs per 24 hours but not more

You may also in addition use one NSAID in addition for added pain relief and to reduce inflammation such as ADVIL 200 mg 3 to 4 tabs with meals three times a day

Try a topical product such as Chloroseptic throat spray and that should help the sore throat a good deal

Gargle three times a day with salt water or commercial product such as Listerine

You may benefit to see doctor and for example screened for strep throat in which case you may then benefit from antibiotic such as amoxicillin

You might be found to have pain from apthous ulcers in which case a topical anesthetic such as viscous lidocaine might be prescribed for you

I hope that this information is helpful for you.If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD