Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am pre diabetic with a A1c of 5.6 taken a few weeks ago. I

Customer Question

I am pre diabetic with a A1c of 5.6 taken a few weeks ago. I have been having headaches and weird EKGs, and working with a Cardiologist for several weeks. Normally my blood sugar was 103-130. My Endocrinologist stopped seeing patients. While I have been having these heart problems, I haven't been taking my blood sugar. The cardiologist said I should make an appointment with another endocrinologist she referred. My appointment is in two months.
Today I took my blood sugar this morning before eating and it was 356. I ate 2 hard boiled eggs and one slice of whole wheat dry toast. Two hours later my blood sugar is 396.
I take Victoza 2.8 ml per day. How can I get it down and should I push to see the Endocrinologist?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

That is very high blodo sugar.

Victoza does not work immediately.

Best option is regular insulin or any short acting insulin to bring it down safely.

Hence, better to go to the urgent care.

You can also discuss with your primary care doctor earlier to start on additional medications like glipizide, metformin etc.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/