Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I've had an injured knee since 8/2015. An MRI was done in

Customer Question

I've had an injured knee since 8/2015. An MRI was done in 9/2015. I was told it showed lots of fluid and slight tear to the meniscus and a bone bruise. However no discussion was done about the bone bruise and I was treated as if I had the slight tear and we "limped" along for a couple months with the obligatory cortisone shots which didn't work until I was referred to a surgeon. The pain and inability to walk had gotten significantly worse by this point. The surgeon says no tear it's a bone bruise go home and stay off it. That was it. I've now researched bone bruise and realize what they are. My question is how long to heal given that I've been on "light duty" these past months with no relief in fact it's worse than ever. What's ahead of me and what do I do. Not interested in returning to the less than helpful surgeon and my family dr who is the prescribing dr for the pain meds seems to be saying to me "I dunno" when asked what now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Bone bruise refers to the hematoma formation under the bone surface due to the microfractures and broken blood vessels.

The healing may take 3 to 4 months sometimes even longer.

Complete avoidance of weight bearing is recommended.

That means using crutches.

Also knee immobilization for at least 3 weeks recommended.

There are risks of delayed healing, and also avascular necrosis of the affected area.

That should be checked with repeat MRI scan after 3 months if you still have significant symptoms.

Another surgeon should be consulted with who is more experienced in knee problems.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/