Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I had a hysterectomy about 13 yr ago. I have been having

Customer Question

I had a hysterectomy about 13 yr ago. I have been having pain the last couple of months. Doctor treated me for kidney stones & kidney infection. Still hurting so she had me get a ct. Blood work came back good. Ct showed i have a cyst on my ovary. Now she wants me to have a ultrasound. Is surgery my best option? I only have the one ovary. Im just so really to be pain free!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Ovarian cysts are common. They vary in size . Most resolve on their own. Large or complex cysts may well need to be removed surgically. It is best to consult with your OB/GYN.....

Ask if your gynecologist is certain the pain is due to the ovarian cysts ( you would not want to have surgery to find out that pain is actually due to some other cause)

As you have had a hysterectomy the potential issue of fertility is not a concern.

If ovary were removed then you would be in situation of menopause ( cessation of your own body producing estrogen and progesterone) At age 46 you may be at point of menopause at any time and age 50 is most common.

If ovary removed then that would have advantage of removing risk of potential for ovarian cancer down the road.

If the cyst is large enough to have surgery advised them other factors would support that approach

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD