Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I got exposed to black mold and had strong symptoms

Customer Question

I got exposed to black mold and had strong symptoms (shortness of breath) for the first month but the symptoms have now largely gone away. I did smoke dope for years but have quit. The symptoms are just a mild shortness of breath but nothing else. The symptoms do occasionally reoccur but are getting milder. I still worry that I have COPD but I don't seem to have the normal COPD symptoms. I understand that other than taken strong medicines for clearing the air pathways in your lungs that medically there is nothing to be done if I do have COPD. I have read that it can take up to six months to fully recover from exposure from black mold...I have been very careful not be exposed to bad air..like friends who smoke etc...so my current strategy is to NEVER smoke again and make sure my house if free of mold...I have checked with one doctor who doesn't believe I have COPD but is still possible I do have the condition?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

It is UNLIKELY with your symptoms that you are having COPD.

I think that your symptoms are mold related and will go away in due course of time.

However, having said that, I would have still done a pulmonary function test (spirometry) done to make sure that COPD or obstructive or restrictive lung disease is ruled out.

I would have also done a chest x-ray as well just to document that it is normal.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.

Kindest regards