Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a question regarding possible risk of exposure to V.

Customer Question

Hello. I have a question regarding possible risk of exposure to HIV. About three nights ago, I was engaging in vaginal sex with a male of unknown status. We used a condom, but right before he ejaculated, he removes his penis from me, removed the condom, and he ejaculated onto my buttocks. I then felt some of his semen drip down onto my anus. I was so concerned that I immediately went to an urgent care clinic the next day to get PEP (Post Exposure Prophylactic) treatment and was started on a thirty day regime of Truvada and Reyataz. However, I am still very worried and I keep getting conflicting information. On the one hand, people are telling me that infection outside of the body cannot occur. By this, they seem to mean that a bare penis must be physically inside a vagina, anus, or mouth for transmission to occur. However, others tell me that the anus is still a mucous membrane and thus, it is possible for the virus to penetrate it outside of the body, like in the manner of my encounter. I want to know once and for all, am I at any risk for HIV since the exposure occurred outside of my body? How effective is PEP of this kind? When is the soonest I can get tested?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

this is Dr. David

the chance of you contracting HIV from semen on the outside of the body is one in a billion chance.

the chances are so small, it is sort of like winning the power ball sort of small risk.

the risks are so small, you don't have to worry about it.

PEP is very effective in decreasing your chances of getting HIV, even in higher risk situations.

you can get blood testing in 1-2 months for duo HIV antibody and antigen testing.

I bet money your HIV tests will be negative.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com