Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Thank you help. After another trip to a and e, seems the

Customer Question

Thank you for your help. After another trip to a and e, seems the diagnosis of cluster headaches could be correct. Been given sumatriptan in a nasal spray, but I've read that it may be better as injections. Why is this? And is this a possibility. Would
this need to be via a neurologist or can my gp prescribe this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 12 months ago.

Hello again.

The injection is more potent and will achieve therapeutic levels more quickly, so it is not surprising that injectable sumatriptan is better for some people. Many people do not like to use injectable medicines, and the nasal spray provides a quicker level than does the pill formulation of sumatriptan.

This is not unique to sumatriptan, as most medicines that are available in injectable and other formulations are more potent in the injectable form.

If the nasal spray does not help or is only partially effective, then yes, the injectable formulation is a possibility and it can be prescribed by your GP.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.