DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My daughter and I are both sick upper respiratory .she was

Customer Question

My daughter and I are both sick upper respiratory .she was sick first and only sick person I was in contact with. We both had nasal swab done. Mine came back as bacterial and gets viral. I have had antibiotic and much better she however is on rescue inhaler 3 times day steroids day 4 and zertyk, singular and nose spray
She has been sick two weeks. First week on augmentin didn't help
My question is could the nasal swab very likely comeback in error?
She is having trouble breathing/ shallow when lying down or moving around much or talking too much.
Just feel like there must be something to do besides rest and wondered if any chance the swab was wrong because mine was bscterial. And she needs another antibiotic
I was told the bacteria was very specific has long lingering cough and best drug is Bactrim
Obviously I'm hover mom. She is 22. 5' 112 lb
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The nasal swab is not specific to bugs that might be causing something like pneumonia.

In fact I think it is useless.

With these symptoms, she needs:

examination

maybe chest x ray

maybe a sputum sample sent to the lab.

I would encourage her to seek follow up today.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.