Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

The pain started today.I do have a little nausea, no

Customer Question

The pain started today.I do have a little nausea, no vomiting or abdominal cramps. I take nexium, atarax, and Lexapro daily for several months now if not over a year. I'm just concerned b/c of how severe the pain got. It would last over 2 minutes each
time x4.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

You are likely suffering from a viral infection of your gastrointestinal tract at present. But this is unlikely to cause your rectal pain. The more probably cause is Proctalgia fugax which are rectal spasms. However before diagnosing this condition you need to visit your doctor who may conduct an anorectal exam. If the exam is negative and is not diagnostic for any other condition than the possibilities of proctalgia fugax may be considered. This is a sporadic pain in the rectum caused by spasm of a muscle near the anus.

However this is not an emergency unless you are getting this frequently or have abdominal pain, which would prompt for a visit to the ER. Please mention this next time you visit your doctor.

http://patient.info/doctor/Proctalgia-Fugax-and-Anal-Pain

Now you may take tylenol for the fever and also take enough liquids and oral rehydration solution to avoid dehyration.

Take care.