Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

Ok. My Mother just came home from Icu yesterday with

Customer Question

Ok. My Mother just came home from Icu yesterday with Congestive Heart Failure. Tonight, laying down resting she is telling me that breathing is like being in a stuffy room and she feels like she has to yawn to get a good breath.....Is this cause for alarm?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

She should have her head end elevated to help her breathe easily, if you have not done that already.

Breathing problems commonly happen in people who have a weak heart when they lie down flat.

If her symptoms are severe/persistent then she needs to be seen again and have dose of diuretics (water pills) adjusted.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 12 months ago.

Hi Kerry,

I'm Dr Chaithnaya, experienced General Physician attending you today.

Breathlessness, Swelling in the legs, Breathlessness during exertion, weakness and fatigue, persistent cough with pink phlegm are the symptoms of heart failure.

If you feel any of these symptoms are constantly present, yes they are alarming symptoms. You need to go to ER if you have any doubts. You need not worry if the symptoms are not constant. If she feels the same the next day, yes time to visit the doctor again.

Hope the information is helpful.

Request you to leave a positive rating[click on the 5th star], so that I'm compensated for the answer.

A bonus is highly appreciated.

Thanks.